CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

2009/04/23

Reading About Civics

After reading this article – Ideas fro innovation, I have realized what I read had been similar to our school; HIS.  Yet in this reading, there are many extremes that I do not like.

            In this whole reading, there were 9 points. There were many things that I had agreed, but also disagreed. Simply, I feel that this whole article talks about how the new generation should have more chances, to work with the older generations.

            I would like to start with the first thing that caught my attention while reading. “…enables teachers to leave daily messages for parents..” I feel that this is a Big no. In this centaury, we should have our own privacy. I feel that having a teacher contacting and informing students and parents everyday is too much. It is not right to intrude the privacy of students.

            I am quite a random person, therefore I feel that I will first state that this might be a very random and everywhere article. I have read through the whole article and certain parts had caught my attention. I will talk about each little part by paragraph until I finish this article.

            The next paragraph that caught my attention were the sentences “ every student is well known by a teacher…” the world SPECIAL, and “ …build a stronger community…” I feel that this is what we have started to lack in our school. Yes, the teachers in our school may know the students, but how much does the teacher UNDERSTAND the student? I feel that knowledge and respect are also important, but what makes everything work, are the bonds you form and create between others. Though understanding and trust, you than build a stronger school community, because you are like a family.

            Like some teachers have said, you take from the community, you give back to the community. Community service is very important. It is fro you to give back to the community. A chance for you to give a helping hand to those that need it and also to those, which doesn’t need it. Either way, being able to help others is the best. You could also learn from others while you do community service. Life-long, live-experiences are things that you won’t be able to learn in school nor textbooks. Life experiences are those that worth the most and last a life long.

            Pressure is one factor that drives students to learn, yet it is also a factor that allows students not to experience. As and Asian, I shall not say that because of pressure in schoolwork, outside activities has been reduced. Asian parents do not allow that. They want their kids to be good in almost everything… I feel the academic field and pressure has gotten everyone to study and not have time for other things such as extracurricular activities from likes or enjoyment. They now are doing so to make it easier to applying for college. I feel that is not the way it should work.

            Students are key members. I really like this statement since Grant Ruskovich has been saying how it is us that keeps the school going, it is us that matters. We have already been doing this in out school HIS. The SRC is one of the examples. Students have the right to speak and SRC is the one that represents all of us when something is to be discussed, if all students have the ability to speak-out, the school society will be too messy and unorganized. Therefore, having the SRC, we have our say and have fewer amounts of problems on agreeing and disagreeing!

            As the reading does on, two more points caught my eye. Skills in youth leadership, and using volunteer citizen teachers to apprentice youth. For the first one giving skills in youth leadership, I feel that it is a main thing, for us youths should be given and able to take all the chances we got. Experience not only comes from school. Also, life experiences are a very important factor. The more you experience, the more you mature, and the more you are able to fit into society. The second one, using volunteer citizen teachers to apprentice youth, is not bad. Yet, I think what is bad is although it’s good to have your child “entertained” constantly, what a kid really needs is their parents and family to play and be with. A kid doesn’t need nannies or other people. What a child really needs is time with family, to be with family, and love from family. Nothing can take over your family.

            The last paragraph, the greedy me almost highlighted everything. Starting with the world FIX. Than tot eh sentence “ Educational leaders should enlist young people in thinking”, and lastly, “ We all then can work to effect these ideas.” What I would like to say about this is that I strongly agree with this and also think that this is very important. Yes, time is changing. Older generations have started to find it harder for them to follow up in what is going on. Technology, communication, even the way of thinking has changed. Now, younger people of the younger generation are more adventurous. They take chances and have cold ways of thinking. I feel and strongly believe that it will be a great combination for the older generation to work with the younger generations. Working together is what the world needs now.

            This whole reading has many great ideas. But simply all are stating how to help build and create a stronger community and society, and how to connect and create bonds, which can help support each other, to understand each other and make all people equal. We can also improve on those that we have done badly, how to change and turn all bad things around to good. By us working like this in our school also our school will be able to have a strong bond between everything, and make HIS into a different place compared to other places. A unique community place, like a second home for all of us.

 

0 comments: